Sales Manager (Sports)
Convention & Visitors Bureau
January 6, 2017
Closing Date for Resumes/Applications
Open until filled
$54,212.96 - $73,187.50
The Greater Saint Charles Convention & Visitors Bureau is recruiting for a Sports Sales Manager. This position is responsible for sales and marketing activities to promote the area to Sports Planners to bring in events that generate a strong return on investment. If you have great energy and a fun personality, CVB sports sales experience, sports commission experience or you just know you can do it because that's how you roll, we want to hear from you.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Prospects for new sports related group business through the internet, telephone contacts, trade publications and industry organizations in existing and new markets
- Follows up with sales contacts by sending packets, email, phone or appointments to retrieve Requests for Proposals (RFPs) for future business
- Responds to RFP’s and makes presentations to sporting event rights holders interested in bringing their competitions to St. Charles (This includes site/facility selection, housing requirements, negotiating rates, securing sponsors, etc.)
- Maintains accurate and up to date files on accounts through the CRM system including entering new leads, traces, service requests, room & revenue pick up, correspondence, maintenance, follow ups, etc. in a timely basis
- Helps to develops and maintain an inventory of hotels, meeting facilities, attractions and sports facilities
- Create and host a Sports Summit that will convene local sports partners and serve as a kick-off to this new position of the CVB. Seek their input and partnership for progress.
- Prepares customized bid packets and makes bid presentations to clients, boards, and memberships as needed
- Maintains awareness of competing cities with an understanding of their product compared to ours
- Maintains contact with the meeting planner during their event to make sure that everything is implemented to their satisfaction with the anticipation of repeat business
- Attends pre-event and post-event meetings for all booked business
- Works to obtain annual sales goal in guest room/event revenue in the Sports markets.
- Works with other members of sales team to achieve annual goals in guest room revenue
- Maintains a well-informed working knowledge of all hotels, attractions and services, both public and private available in the area and develops and maintains a close working relationship with sales staff at all facilities.
- Maintains an awareness of competitor products, promotions and industry issues that influence sales by establishing a rapport with other CVB representatives, reviewing convention trade publications, etc.
- Joins membership organizations that apply to targeted markets and services. Attends monthly meetings for these organizations to network with suppliers and meeting planners to retain existing business and/or cultivate new business
- Attends conferences and exhibits to promote the area as a convention/meeting/sports destination.
- Represents the CVB at exhibits, trade shows, marketplaces, and related conventions and meetings and completes all necessary follow up.
- Reports to Director of Sales weekly with the following up to date reports: Convention Sales Funnel Report, Goals vs. Actual Report, Sales Activity Recap, Sales Action Plan, Booked Business Report, Trade Show Report, Convention Services Update, and Quarterly Action Plan
- Updates booked business calculations on Destination Marketing Association International Event Impact Calculator (DMAI)
- Helps maintain updated information on all service providers (i.e., transportation, entertainment, miscellaneous services, restaurants, retail shops, and tour companies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.